- Policy-focused research
- Resource Collections via NTI.org: Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.
Activities in the Middle East Nonproliferation Program
- Train Middle Eastern scholars and government officials
- Conduct consulting and outreach
- Improve dialogue among academics, civic society and policy makers
- Work with Middle Eastern partners to empower and connect local experts with international specialists
CNS experts teach courses related to nonproliferation issues in the Middle East at MIIS and other US universities.
2. Visiting Fellows Program
Middle Eastern experts and government officials are invited annually to attend a special lecture series and conduct research in Monterey, CA.
3. Middle East Next Generation Initiative
As the region’s officials are retiring or being pushed aside due to national upheavals, younger figures will fill posts in foreign policy and national security, become influential governmental advisers, parliamentarians, academics and thought leaders. Few young officials have any background in arms control and nonproliferation.
Identifying young specialists has presented challenges. Possible reasons are the lack of science and technology education and the lack of knowledge and, in some cases, interest in the topic. Many identify foreign policy and security issues with the old guard. Fostering enthusiasm for security and foreign policy issues, similar to what the younger generation have exhibited for good governance and economic & social reform, is crucial to promoting arms control, disarmament and nonproliferation in the region.
- Engagement between experienced and up-and-coming experts
- Ensure younger players are aware of the issues and receive exceptional training
- Encourage dialogue & relationship-building between young specialists, some from countries in conflict with each other
- Enable young specialists to inform the current track-two discussions and bring broader representation, fresh ideas, and new enthusiasm