Senior Research Associate
Senior Program Manager
Andrea Berger is a Senior Research Associate and a Senior Program Manager, based in London. Her research interests include North Korea’s WMD programs, sanctions and export controls, countering proliferation finance, and nonproliferation and disarmament diplomacy. Andrea conducts detailed investigations into illicit networks using open-source intelligence techniques, in support of counterproliferation efforts. She is also a regular contributor at Arms Control Wonk, 38 North, and NK News.
In addition to her full-time position with the CNS, Andrea is currently a Visiting Fellow in the Centre for Science and Security Studies (CSSS) at King’s College London, as well as an Associate Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute.
Prior to joining CNS, Andrea was the Deputy Director of the Proliferation and Nuclear Policy Programme at the Royal United Services Institute. She was also the Director of the UK Project on Nuclear Issues (UK PONI), a network of over 900 emerging and established experts in the UK nuclear community. Between 2012 and 2015, Andrea led track one-and-a-half security talks with the North Korean People’s Army and Worker’s Party, both in Pyongyang and London. She has worked extensively with the Financial Action Task Force and its regional bodies, as well as with financial institutions, to develop their approaches to countering proliferation finance. Andrea has been a delegate to the Proliferation Security Initiative’s Operational Experts Group, as well as a UK representative at the 2014 and 2016 P5 Conferences.
Before joining the nonproliferation community, Andrea worked in several Canadian government departments, lastly as a Trade Policy Analyst in Global Affairs Canada.
- MA in International Peace and Security, King’s College London
- BA (Hons) in Political Science, Carleton University
- Specialist Certificate in Trade-Based Money Laundering
- Andrea Berger, “Recycling the Playbook: UNSCR 2321 and Its Coal Caps”, 38 North, 16 December 2016
- Emil Dall, Andrea Berger, Tom Keatinge, “Implementing the Iran Nuclear Deal: Balancing Proliferation Finance Risk and Economic Opportunity”, Royal United Services Institute, December 2016
- Andrea Berger, “Multilateralizing Approaches to North Korea: The Canadian Case”, 38 North, 28 November 2016
- Emil Dall, Andrea Berger, Tom Keatinge, “Out of Sight, Out of Mind? A Review of Efforts to Counter Proliferation Finance”, Whitehall Report 3-16, Royal United Services Institute, June 2016
- Andrea Berger, “North Korea’s Military Partnerships Under Threat?”, 38 North, 17 June 2016
- Andrea Berger, “From Paper to Practice: The Significance of New UN Sanctions on North Korea”, Arms Control Today, May 2016
- Andrea Berger, “The New UNSC Sanctions Resolution on North Korea: A Deep Dive”, 02 March 2016
- Tom Keatinge, Andrea Berger, “Implementing the Iran Deal: Will Banks do Business?”, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 10 November 2015
- Andrea Berger, “Gangs of New York: The 2015 NPT RevCon”, European Leadership Network, May 2015
- Andrea Berger and Malcolm Chalmers, “The Art of the Possible: The Future of the P5 Process on Nuclear Weapons”, Arms Control Today, October 2014
- Malcolm Chalmers and Andrea Berger, “Great Expectations: The P5 Process and the Non-Proliferation Treaty”, Whitehall Report 3-13, Royal United Services Institute, August 2013