Senior Research Associate
East Asia Nonproliferation Program (EANP)
Melissa Hanham is a Senior Research Associate in the East Asia Nonproliferation Program (EANP). Her regional interests include the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, North Korean WMD procurement and proliferation networks, China’s nuclear posture, and East Asian security. She also studies Chinese, South Korean, and Japanese nuclear exports, as well as East and Southeast Asian export control systems.
Melissa supports CNS’ research by investigating new techniques in open source geospatial analysis, incorporating imagery and other remote sensing data, large data sets, social media, 3D modeling, and GIS mapping. She teaches “Open Source Analysis for Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies” at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies, and is a regular contributor to Arms Control Wonk and Bellingcat.
Additionally, she assists the Export Control and Nonproliferation Project with research on proliferation financing and money laundering.
Previously, Melissa worked for International Crisis Group in Beijing, China and Seoul, South Korea.
- MA in International Security Policy and East Asia from Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs
- BA in International Studies from Johns Hopkins University.
- Certificate of Nonproliferation from the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
- She speaks English, Chinese, and French.
- Melissa Hanham, “Kim Jong Un Tours Pesticide Facility Capable of Producing Biological Weapons,” 38 North, July 9, 2015, 38North.org.
- Melissa Hanham, Leslie Wukstich, and Stephanie Lieggi, “North Korea, Arms, and Africa: Three Case Studies,” Money Laundering Bulletin, October 2014, www.moneylaunderingbulletin.com.
- Jeffrey Lewis, Melissa Hanham, and Amber Lee, “That Ain’t My Truck: Where North Korea Assembled Its Chinese Transporter-Erector-Launchers,” 38 North, February 3, 2014, 38North.org.
- Bryan Lee, Jeffrey Lewis, Melissa Hanham, “Assessing the Potential of Societal Verification by Means of New Media,” Project on Advanced Systems and Concepts for Countering WMD (PASCC), January 2014, www.nps.edu.
- Melissa Hanham, “North Korea’s Cuban Missile Crisis,” 38 North, August 1, 2013, 38North.org.
- Melissa Hanham, “Obama’s Historic Visit to Myanmar and the Shadow of North Korea,” 38 North, January 8, 2013, 38North.org.
- Melissa Hanham, “North Korea’s Procurement Network Strikes Again: Examining How Chinese Missile Hardware Ended Up in Pyongyang,” Nuclear Threat Initiative, July 31, 2012, NTI.org.
- Javier Serrat and Melissa Hanham, “Paris-Based Banking Group Tightens Rules Against Financing of Banned Weapon of Mass Destruction-Related Transfers,” James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, March 5, 2012, Nonproliferation.org.
- Melissa Hanham, “Avoiding a North Korean Nuclear Nightmare,” WMD Junction, December 23, 2011, WMDJunction.com.
- Catherine Boye and Melissa Hanham with Seungho Lee, “Missiles, Maneuvers and Mysteries: Review of Recent Developments in North Korea,” James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies, November 2, 2010, Nonproliferation.org.
- Catherine Boye, Melissa Hanham, and Robert Shaw, “North Korea and Myanmar: A Match for Nuclear Proliferation?” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, September 27, 2010, TheBulletin.org.
- Melissa Hanham, “Impact of the Cheonan Incident on the Six-Party Talks,” Nuclear Threat Initiative, May 17, 2010, NTI.org.